wtorek, 15 grudnia 2020

Ronald and Hilary Tolkien like Seton's "Two Little Savages" (1908-1910)

I introduce new hashtags #ForbiddenTolkien and #NotAllowedByTS



Added in February 2022:

In 1908, just before young Tolkien became a Scout (1909-10) and became fascinated with adventure literature, Seton's Two Little Savages was available at the local Aston Library in Birmingham! I trust Tolkien knew this book. Descriptions of Yan and Sam's games will be associated with every Tolkienist with little Ronald and Hilary wandering through the woods and bushes of Sarehole.
Source: Google Books

Original post from December 2020:

As you maybe know I have been recently treated on various forums of the Tolkien societies as an enfant terrible. Why? An example. Let us see this post written by me few days ago, which was not allowed on a forum:

Carpenter wrote about young Tolkien:

"Outside the school-room hours his mother gave him plenty of story-books. He was amused by Alice in Wonderland, though he had no desire to have adventures like Alice. He did not enjoy Treasure Island, nor the stories of Hans Andersen, nor The Pied Piper. But he liked Red Indian stories and longed to shoot with a bow and arrow."

I am just translating "Two Little Savages" by Seton for a Polish publisher. And I have very "Tolkienesque" impressions sometimes. Have anyone of you ever heard which "Red Indian stories" Tolkien could know?

This text by me is not allowed because - as I can read - it is "problematic" and there is "strong possibility that it will draw a lot of objections just because of the title of the book in the image". I was asked to post without the image or the book title. Also "Red Indian" used by Tolkien's biographer Carpenter is "problematic" and "offensive".  

What is going on with our world? Words fail me.

And by the way, my question is still valid. Have anyone of you ever heard which "Red Indian stories" Tolkien could know?

4 komentarze:

  1. Seton to ten od "Wild Animals I Have Known"?

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. Perhaps also he refers to James Fenimore Cooper's "Leatherstocking Tales," such as "The Deerslayer," "The Last of the Mohicans," and the like.

    OdpowiedzUsuń