środa, 23 czerwca 2021

The Society of Many Colours?

First, I would like to remind you of the important words of prof. Verlyn Flieger:

Why should anyone read Tolkien? For refreshment and entertainment. Why should anyone take his work seriously? — as seriously (and that is very serious indeed) as he took it? Because it is tough, uncompromising, honest.

Because it confronts directly, albeit imaginatively, those two awkward, embarrassing, even forbidden subjects which our time shrinks from: death, and the relationship between humanity and God.

If we do read Tolkien, and if we do take him seriously, we may learn about ourselves — learn much that we did not know and even more than we once knew and have now forgotten.

—Verlyn Flieger, Splintered Light. Logos and Language in Tolkien's World, p. vii.

 

There is a Society. I have been its member for some years. I am very uncomfortable, but I have to ask: Is the Tolkien Society turning into the Society of Many Colours? Like Saruman? Keep the question open. In the meantime, I will tell you a few short stories and give you some opinions. 

 

Artwork by a member of the Tolkien Society

 

My first encounter with the censorship  on the Facebook Group of the Tolkien Society was long ago when I wanted to show to others my photographs from Tolkien's church of St. Aloysius in Oxford, with his favourite statue of Virgin Mary. They told me that "religious" content is forbidden. I was in shock! You can see my picture here:

This gave Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings
tremendous moral strength

The same was when I wanted to wish Christmas greetings to the members using Tolkien's words from Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth. After several such situations, a person begins to censor himself. Like during the "Cultural Revolution" in China. We in Poland remember very well the times of censorship, when the communist authorities did not allow for public discussions about Christian faith and morality.

I am a translator of books from English into Polish. Right now I'm working on Two Little Savages, a classic of children's literature by Ernest Thomspon Seton. In the Forum, I asked if Tolkien might have known this book. Another censorship block happened. I described the situation here: 

This cover is forbidden or about the "political correctness"
in the Tolkien fandom

I will later return to my story...

Carl F. Hostetter, outstanding researcher of Tolkien, editor of the Professor's linguistic notes, successor of Christopher Tolkien, friend of Priscilla Tolkien, who will publish an important work in the autumn, The Nature of Middle-earth (HarperCollins, collected linguistic, geographic, philosophical, theological notes etc.), wrote at the Tolkien Society's Discussion Forum:

"'The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work' — J. R. R. Tolkien. I guess it's OK to prohibit discussion of the fundamental aspects of the writings of an author, by a society devoted to and whose president in perpetuity is the same author. Stands to reason!"

And later:

"In my long experience, it is almost never the person who raises the topic of Tolkien and Christianity that creates a problem ― rather, it is those who are hostile to Christianity who do so. Banning discussion of the subject entirely (1) eliminates discussion of a fundamental aspect of Tolkien's legendarium, (2) rewards those who cannot brook any mention of Tolkien's Christianity, and (3) punishes those who have no ill will but only an intellectual interest. That is what I object to."

Carl F. Hostetter left the Tolkien Society group himself, after the admin (Ian L. Collier) accused him of having a "persecution complex" right before he disabled comments.

I myself was banned by Collier many months ago. Why? There were probably many reasons: my protests against the censorship of Christian themes, my commitment to and defence of Project Northmoor (see here), my criticism of the Society's lack of efforts to organize the Writer's Museum and to look after his grave in winter. And, in fact, world view differences. Collier likened me in private to "alt-right", "bigot", and "religious fanatic".

Unfortunately, it seems that in 2021 J. R. R. Tolkien himself would also have to be careful in the Tolkien Society about the censorship of his statements and the ban. In a private conversation, I suggested to a very prominent TS member, that Tolkien would be also called "homophobic" or "racist" by them, because he was a conservative Christian, a faithful Roman Catholic:

He answered:

―If Tolkien had that opinion, then yes he would be. The Society doesn't promote Tolkien's views. (...) We do not have to agree with him, nor do we have to promote (or agree with) his views.

I am writing this sad account and bitter appeal in a specific situation. The Tolkien Society summer seminar is about to take place under the title "Tolkien and Diversity" (see here) with papers like: "Pardoning Saruman?: The Queer in Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings", "Gondor in Transition: A Brief Introduction to Transgender Realities in The Lord of the Rings", "The Invisible Other: Tolkien’s Dwarf-Women and the ‘Feminine Lack’", "Queer Atheists, Agnostics, and Animists, Oh, My!", and "“Something Mighty Queer”: Destabilizing Cishetero Amatonormativity in the Works of Tolkien". The topic is very political, controversial and provocative. You can follow the reaction in the press, social media or on YouTube (enter in the search engine: "Tolkien+Society+Diversity"). A few years ago, the topic of the seminar was also provocative: the Tolkien Society used the same Betteridge's law of headlines as me in my blog post ― "Tolkien the Pagan?". Many audiences have the impression that the Tolkien Society not only rejects the Author's Christianity, but is also taking a sharp left turn.

And I ask: "The Society of Many Colours"? And I don't mean the rainbow flag of social justice warriors. I think wider. In Tolkien's style. I am sure you remember Saruman of Many Colours and the words of J. R. R. Tolkien in Rotterdam in 1958, during the "Hobbit Dinner" (see here):

I look East, West, North, South, and I do not see Sauron; but I see that Saruman has many descendants. We Hobbits have against them no magic weapons. Yet, my gentlehobbits, I give you this toast: To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees.

In Summer 2018 The Bodleian Libraries organized the exhibition which revealed the life and worlds of J.R.R. They also published a richly illustrated book which explored the huge creative endeavour behind Tolkien's enduring popularity. In the catalogue you can read: 

"[Tolkien] wished more than anything to ‘make England Catholic’ again, and in doing so to reintroduce beauty, purity, and love to his country.”

Maker of Middle-earth, p. 157.

And I call:

Make the Society "Tolkien" again!

3 komentarze:

  1. A good article by a Tolkien scholar, Prof. Bradley J. Birzer

    https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/06/j-r-r-tolkiens-work-transcends-wokeness/

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. All my friends have already been censored, or attacked by the members … but I left the Society, for a month now, and I realized Tolkien would not be on this group.

    OdpowiedzUsuń