piątek, 11 lutego 2022

Tolkien's confession

Artwork from "My Book of the Church's Year" by Enid M. Chadwick
(source)

 

Tolkien on the path of his faith (from a letter to his son Michael of 1963, No. 250):

But I am one who came up out of Egypt, and pray God none of my seed shall return thither. I witnessed (half-comprehending) the heroic sufferings and early death in extreme poverty of my mother who brought me into the Church; and received the astonishing charity of Francis Morgan.3 But I fell in love with the Blessed Sacrament from the beginning – and by the mercy of God never have fallen out again: but alas! I indeed did not live up to it. I brought you all up ill and talked to you too little. Out of wickedness and sloth I almost ceased to practise my religion – especially at Leeds, and at 22 Northmoor Road.4 Not for me the Hound of Heaven, but the never-ceasing silent appeal of Tabernacle, and the sense of starving hunger. I regret those days bitterly (and suffer for them with such patience as I can be given); most of all because I failed as a father. Now I pray for you all, unceasingly, that the Healer (the Hælend as the Saviour was usually called in Old English) shall heal my defects, and that none of you shall ever cease to cry Benedictus qui venit in nomme Domini.

___________________________________

Tolkien o drodze swojej wiary (z listu do syna Michaela z 1963, nr 250, tłum. A. Sylwanowicz): 

Ja jednak wyszedłem z Egiptu i modlę się do Boga, by moje ziarno tam nie powróciło. Byłem świadkiem (na wpół świadomie) heroicznych cierpień i przedwczesnej śmierci - w skrajnym ubóstwie - mojej matki, która przyprowadziła mnie do Kościoła oraz spotkałem się z niezwykłą życzliwością Francisa Morgana. Ale od samego początku zakochałem się w Przenajświętszym Sakramencie - i z łaski Boga nigdy od niego nie odszedłem, choć, niestety, nie żyłem zgodnie z nim. Wszystkich was niedobrze wychowałem i za mało z Wami rozmawiałem. Z niegodziwości i lenistwa nieomal przestałem praktykować religię - szczególnie w Leeds i przy Northmoor Road 22. Nie dla mnie Hound of Heaven, lecz niekończące się, milczące wezwanie Tabernakulum i przemożne poczucie głodu. Gorzko żałuję tamtych czasów (i pokutuję za nie z cierpliwością, jaką mogę otrzymać), przede wszystkim dlatego, że zawiodłem jako ojciec. Teraz nieustannie modlę się za Was wszystkich, by Uzdrowiciel (Hælend, jak Zbawiciela zwykle nazywano w staroangielskim) uleczył moje wady i by żadne z Was nie przestało wołać: Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domine.

1 komentarz:

  1. "Przemożne poczucie głodu" - i żaden głód nie jest tak krzepiący! https://labeteblanche.blogspot.com/2022/06/skosztuj.html

    OdpowiedzUsuń